KTXT

11 December 2008


On December 10th 2008, KTXT 88.1 closed its doors for the first time in 47 years.

I'm hoping my personal story with KTXT will help those of you outside of Lubbock understand why this is so important.

I came to Lubbock my Freshman year still very much in my shell. I didn't put too much effort into making friends. I had a boyfriend back home that I was fully devoted to.
I clearly remember walking to class one day and being handed a flyer.
"What kind of music do you like?" the girl asked me.
"Umm I dunno. Alternative stuff. Modest Mouse?" I stuttered.
"Awesome! You should come to the hiring meeting. You could become a DJ." She smiled and walked off to go pass out more flyers.

I didn't go to the hiring meeting that night. I wish I had.
But I did start listening to 88.1
The station introduced me to legends like Johnny Cash, the wide variety of the Beatles (not just the songs on car commercials), something called alternative country, noise-rock, classic punk, and student opinion.

Student opinion.

That blew my mind.

All you had to do is become a DJ, show that you could show up on time, and you could get a specialty show together.

I wandered through my college career. Made friends with people in my major. Spent four months in China. And then senior year it happened.

It always happens when you know something is about to end.

I was introduced to, what are now, my best friends.

A good friend told me she was going to Skooners that night to hang out with some friends and thought I would enjoy their company.
So I went.

Admittedly, I didn't talk much.

They were into music, comics, sci-fi, all around they were nerds.

I'd found my home.

I only found out a few days later these were the guys I occasionally caught on Thursday nights on KTXT. The now legendary Metropolis.

This is how KTXT helped me find my soulmates in Lubbock TX.

This past year I became actively involved in KTXT.

I host, produce and direct the talk show, EVOLUTION.

Scratch that I hosted the program...

We were the only student based talk radio program in all of Lubbock. The only place you could tune in and get student opinions on the news and politics.

I will never in my life forget November 4th at the station.

I was there for 10 hours, giving updates on one of the most historic elections of our nation.

At 10:05 pm on November 4th I announced on 88.1 KTXT that the president-elect was Barack Obama.

I was the student voice for that day.


Things like that will never happen again.



We will fight.

We will fight to the death.

We will find a new home.

This is not the last time you will here my voice on the airwaves fighting with Ben.

The fight will live on.

0 comments: