Hipsters

10 December 2008

Last night I got into a nice yelling match with a close friend about a very important subject.

Hipsters.

Now according to this friend our whole generation's sub-culture is labeled at Hipsters. So anyone who isn't into mainstream pop culture is classified as Hipster and then sub-categorized into different areas. Like nerds, history geeks, indie kids and so forth.

I very much disagree.

I, for example, am not a Hipster.

To me Hipsters are people who get into arguments about records, wear head bands made of Lycra, and have neon plastic sun glasses. Most of the time they can also be spotted wearing pearl snap shirts.
These are the true Hipsters in my book.

So don't dare you try and tell me I'm a Hipster but then sub-categorize me into Nerd-Girl.
I'm Nerd-Girl through and through. Maybe a little bit Indie too, but no Hipster.

Why does a whole generation of people who live under the main stream have to have just ONE title?

0 comments: